Citibus is developing a new vision for how its fixed route bus service and On-Demand microtransit service operate within Lubbock. Browse this site to learn about the work underway for Citibus and to provide feedback. Whether you’ve never ridden the bus in Lubbock or are a regular rider, your participation is valuable in crafting a transportation system that better serves Lubbock’s residents! We would appreciate your input on the draft 5-Year Service Plan, which you can provide at the bottom of this page.
Why are we doing this?
Citibus fixed route ridership had been declining slowly before the Covid-19 pandemic – this decline accelerated during the years of the Covid-19 pandemic (2020 and 2021). In response to the pandemic, Citibus started citywide microtransit service called On-Demand (think small vans operated by Citibus where trips are requested and fulfilled in real-time using a smartphone app or by calling in, similar to Uber and Lyft) but also reduced service levels on its fixed route service.
In 2022 and 2023, ridership stabilized with some improvement on certain routes and usage of On-Demand microtransit but challenges remain in making time-efficient connections, serving growing areas of Lubbock, improving fixed route frequencies, and having On-Demand microtransit better support, and not compete with, fixed route service. Before the Covid-19 pandemic, Citibus riders could catch two buses an hour. Today, riders of the system can catch a bus only once per hour.
This study aims to:
How can the project help me?
If you are an existing, previous, or potential rider of Citibus, we strive to:
- Make travel by bus shorter and closer to what it would be in a car.
- Reduce wait times between buses.
- Connect to new areas not currently served by Citibus.
- Have On-Demand microtransit be more consistently available with 20 minutes or less response time.
If you may never ride, we hope to:
- Improve access to jobs, shopping, and services.
- Improve mobility for Lubbock residents who can’t or don’t drive.
- Build a more connected community through better public transportation.
- Strengthen the local economy and give more opportunities to all.
How to navigate this site
- Learn more about the project by clicking on the tabs below (the fun stuff is in the New Service Plan where all the new route and On-Demand microtransit ideas are located)
- After reviewing the new service plan, click on the map below to add comments
- Finish up by scrolling down to take the survey and give us more detailed comments (click on the blue Begin button at the bottom of this page)
Explore the tabs below to learn more.
Through past and present planning efforts, Citibus has continually reevaluated the existing transit system, studied where people travel to and from, and honed bus routes and service to best serve the community.
Citibus assessed transit operations in 2019 and envisioned a layered system that incorporated routes that serve different trip purposes:
- Express Service: Most direct connections between destinations with most buses per hour
- Core Service: Connections to key destinations across the city and more buses per hour
- Neighborhood Service: More circuitous routes that connect many locations around the city and fewer buses per hour
- Microtransit: For unserved or underserved areas, connecting to fixed route
This analysis developed new routes like the Marsha Sharp Express and 98th Street Route, while adjusting others. The microtransit recommendation was implemented in response to Covid.
In 2021, Citibus developed a hybrid route plan that improved service in the southern areas of the city and through a facilities plan identified new “mobility hubs” that would improve amenities and transfers at key stops like the Downtown Transfer Plaza.
During the Citibus Transit Board Visioning Workshop in January, the project team reviewed recent Citibus planning activities and trends with the board, including changes from the Covid-19 pandemic and initial recovery. Staff also sought to understand board members’ vision for Citibus in 5-10 years,
Board members widely agreed that in five years, they wanted to see:
- Return of riders lost during Covid-19
- Some integration of Citibus service with TTU Routes
- More fixed route service (bus routes)
- Targeted microtransit service (OnDemand) that works with fixed route services
- More frequency for key bus routes (buses per hour)
- Strategic geographic expansion of fixed route and microtransit service
- More investment in transit amenities and security than today
- Continued investment in improving the transit fleet
- Pursue increased funding for operations
- Support from internal factors like funding, system frequency and reliability, marketing and branding
- Support from external factors like city population and traffic growth, shifting travel patterns
The Citibus board met again in May 2023 to discuss city demographics and ridership trends, citywide travel patterns, and service plan priorities and opportunities.
Much of the Citibus route network covers areas of Lubbock with poverty levels greater than the citywide average and with a greater-than-average non-white population. These areas of the city, particularly in northwest, south central, and west Lubbock, also have higher ridership levels, some of the highest-boarding stops, and the highest-performing routes.
Assessing OnDemand microtransit travel data, many of the most popular on-demand trips mimic existing fixed routes, suggesting riders choose Citibus OnDemand microtransit over bus service due to poor frequency or during hours when bus service doesn’t operate. Some trips on microtransit cover areas not served by fixed route bus service.
The updated 5-Year service plan aims to:
Expect to see information on the final service plan and system vision in December 2023! In the meantime, we are seeking your input to help get us there. Thank you!
DRAFT SERVICE PLAN
New Service Plan - Draft
The New Service Plan is broken into three types of fixed-route bus service: Express Service, Core Service, and Neighborhood Service, and microtransit service. Browse the proposed bus service and microtransit service routes by clicking on the images below! You can provide comments on the New Service Plan at the bottom of this page.